Sunday 8 May 2011

Fingersmith

Shortly after coming out to my parents, I started looking for anything vaguely lesbian. Be it books, films or music. I Google'd and Wiki'd and came across lists of best of books, films and so on. One of these was Fingersmith.
Fingersmith is a novel written by Sarah Waters and is her third book. It was preceded by Tipping the Velvet and Affinity and followed by The Night Watch and The Little Stranger. It's set in the Victorian era and is sort of a mix between a romance and a crime novel. Very good twists and turns. As the novel progresses, you also find yourself rooting for the one character, hating the other and then this gets turned around as the plot unfolds. Amazing writing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Tipping the Velvet and The Night Watch as well. Three of her books have been made into BBC serials and I highly recommend them. They remain quite true to the books and are superbly acted.

No comments:

Post a Comment