Friday 20 May 2011

If I Ran the Zoo

I love stories and firmly believe that ages given for books are only vague guidelines. If it's a good story, no matter if it's in the toddler section, I will read it. This is how I came across Dr. Seuss. I had seen his books in the library when I was very young and knew of them, but only became a real fan a few years ago.

Dr. Seuss is the pen name of Theodor Seuss Geisel, and American born in 1904. He ended up publishing 44 children's books which have reprinted numerous times and made into various television and film adaptations. His stories are known for their very colourful and fantastical illustrations of wonderful worlds and creatures. The stories always rhyme and he often uses his own words to make the rhyme work.

If I Ran the Zoo is about a young man who's not impressed by the zoo in his town. He imagines what kind of exotic animals he would have if he ran the zoo. As the story progresses, the boy's imagination gets wilder with each new animal he adds. I love this story simply because the child's imagination has no bounds - I would definitely go to the McGrew Zoo.

Dr. Seuss' stories are timeless - hopefully they will in print forever. I wouldn't want anyone, from this world or any other universe, to miss experiencing his books. Reading them out aloud should be one of life's mandatory pleasures :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment