Tuesday 10 January 2012

Unemployed and Homeless

View from my window
I am currently unemployed and homeless. But, since the view from my window is of a beautiful beach and ocean, I can't really complain :-).


For the past few months, I've been itching to move onto something new in my career. That's the reason for being so quiet on the blog - the job hunting has been hectic. I've been working at a great company as a chief geologist at one of their underground coal mines. It's been wonderful, but I needed a change and want to gain experience at an open cut coal mine. I started looking for opportunities in South Africa, but then I thought of going overseas. I have a friend who's working in Australia and had a chance to visit the country. I could experience what it would be like to work there and had the chance to visit some of the potential jobs while I was on holiday. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of opportunities there are for geologists.


The job applications, interviews, online psychometric tests and the final work visa process was quite lengthy. But, it's definitely yielded great rewards. I'm starting my new career next week as a mine geologist at an open cut coal mine in Queensland, Australia. The company employing me has made all my relocation arrangements and I should be moving into my new place at the end of February.


I'm really looking forward to the new job, people and town. I can't wait to sink my teeth into open cut geology and exploring Queensland. Until then, I'll just enjoy being unemployed and at the beach for my last few days in South Africa :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment