Friday 8 July 2011

Quitting vs Quality of Life

Working at a mine can be quite rough. The focus is on producing as much tonnages as possible while not injuring anyone. This does mean that people skills and normal working hours get thrown out the window when the pressure is on to produce.

The mining industry has slowly been changing over the past few decades to show more a caring attitude (i.e. less screaming) and to get a better work-life balance. This doesn't always work so well. If your section is standing because of a broken machine, you will be called out at whatever time of the night to get it right and get producing again. I'm lucky in that this mostly happens to my engineering colleagues. I am on standby, but have only been called out once in my entire career.

When you start out in mining, you start at the bottom. You work shifts, overtime and standby. The work is tough and tiring. When you complain, you're made to feel as if you can't handle real work. All the advice given is hang in there, it'll get better. The older generation tell stories of days without sleep and living at the mine. They become these war stories and honour badges that people share. And if you're not part of it, if you're not also working your butt off, you're seen as the wuss who couldn't cut it.

After all this, you start to think if it's really worth it. Do you really need this? What about your personal life? Do you leave and get another job - be the one who quits - or do you grit your teeth and stick it out? Where do you draw the line between seeing something through and choosing to have a better quality of life?

My friends and I have had this discussion numerous times. We've been through a lot and have really grown in our careers. But at what price? Is it fear that keeps me from trying something new? I've said that I'll work back my university bursary and then decide. Then I got rotated to a new position with more responsibility. It's a great opportunity, but my stress knots have multiplied like rabbits. I'm already in a small town which is quite homophobic and now I'm working so hard that I can't even get to the city to meet potential girlfriends. Is the awesome paycheck really enough?

At least I still have my sense of humour. One of the top managers is involved with a big project at our mine. Most people are a bit wary of him and somewhat scared to say anything out of line. He's getting on in years and in the one meeting couldn't recall an engineer's name he'd worked with before. I chipped in and guessed John. The manager slowly nodded and agreed. The other guys asked if I knew him and I said no, but 80% of the time it should be John - very common name. Everyone laughed - the top manager was not impressed :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment