Sunday 17 July 2011

Raunchy and Realistic

My cinema calendar is a bit behind and I only got to see Bridesmaids today. What a fantastic movie! A breath of fresh air.


I first noticed Kristen Wigg with Ellen Page in Whip it! When I saw the trailers, I knew I couldn't miss it. Wigg wrote and stars in the film alongside Maya Rudolph (Saturday Night Live) and Melissa McCarthy (Mike and Molly, Gilmore Girls). The 6 female leads are hilariously diverse which creates a story where I was laughing from beginning to end.

What made this film different for me was that it wasn't the typical romantic comedy with the damsel-in-distress female lead. All the characters have normal problems and issues. It didn't feel like a Hallmark card. I even started getting annoyed with the lead character at one point before she turns her life around. One quote from the film stood out for me (not verbatim):
"Stop blaming the world for your problems. You are your problem. But, you're also the solution."

Hopefully Hollywood keeps it coming with stories of real people and strong female leads. If you haven't seen it, get to your nearest cinema right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment