Sunday 12 June 2011

Looking for Group

We define a lot of what we do in levels. For example, any game you play is about reaching the next level - whether it's the next stage in the game or gaining a new level of experience in the character you're playing with. Once you get a job, it's again all about getting a promotion and moving up to the next pay level.

One of the great things I've found about the mining environment is the lack of levels. Everyone is on different posts and so on, but no-one hammers on it. You work together as a team and anyone can talk with anyone - no matter what kind of pay you're getting or how high up in the organization you are.

The first time I was introduced to how important levels are was when my brother allowed me to play Dungeons & Dragons (role-playing game) with him and his friends. This only happened a few times, because any fight we had would translate into me dying inexplicably quickly when he was Dungeon Master :-). I'll always remember one of the few times I saved the team. We were fighting some evil witch and everyone but me was down. I was very lucky and rolled a 20 critical hit. I killed the witch and ended up being the hero - even more hilarious since I was playing a very pathetic bard.

Dungeons & Dragons has been around for years and spawned countless comics, webcomics and books. My favourites currently are Nodwick and Order of the Stick, but more of them later. Today I want to tell you about Looking for Group. It's not really based on DnD, but has a fantasy setting which reminds me of DnD.


There's the typical hero, villains and all-encompassing quest to save the world. But, what makes Looking for Group unique for me is the humour and the interaction between the characters. Some of the panels have me laughing out loud and retelling them to friends (who then only stare at me as if I've lost the plot :-). Read the first page, if you laugh, you know this webcomic is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment