Sunday 26 June 2011

Occupational Hazard

I got a hammer in the post this week. Now, to most people this would be an extremely weird comment. A geologist would simply reply: "Estwing? Wood or vinyl handle?"

Being a geologist brings with it a few eccentric behaviours. A case could be argued whether eccentric people become geologists or whether the job itself creates these weird traits. Take the hammer for example - not all hardware stores carry Estwing hammers so alternative options for getting a new one is necessary. And it is an essential tool for the working geologist. Actually, it's the only cool tool we use. So to compete with the engineers with their huge machines and power tools, you flaunt your special hammer whenever you can :-).

I keep a bag filled with PPE (safety clothes), a notebook and my hammer in my car in case I get called out to site. I was stopped one afternoon by the mine's security. They do routine checks to make sure no one is running off with copper or computers. I was not really paying attention to the guard's check until he called me over to where he was going through the bag. He lifted the geological hammer and stared at me with a frown. The one end of the hammer is like a pick and the other is blunt. I joked: "It's for self-defence." The guard was not impressed and I tried explaining that I'm a geologist and I used it underground. He just nodded and carefully put the hammer back. Since then, he's kept an eye on me.

Geologists also makes loads of jokes (puns especially) about different rocks. There's a running joke among my geology friends that there's a blissful state of mind a geologist will reach after enough experience where he'll be able to identify any rock type without even looking at it. This comes from the fact that we sometimes struggle to identify the basement rocks in our area while one of the oldest geologists in the office simply glances at it and gives an answer.

I mentioned before how engineers want a concrete answer, but because geologists work with limited data points you can never be one hundred percent sure. This does mean that you started speaking in options - On the one hand, the data could indicate this, but on the other it could point to something else. I heard another joke about this from a mining engineer the other day. He says that a engineer looking at a white horse from the side would exclaim the horse is white, but a geologist will say this side is white and can't be sure about the other. Quite funny!

All the above means that most geologists have some quirks, but are hilariously funny and get along with almost anyone. Get your own geologist friend as soon as possible! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment