Monday 4 April 2011

Hell-driver!

I am a hell-driver on my bicycle - not in the sense that I go super fast, more the fact that it sometimes feels like hell to me.

I started cycling about 3 years ago on a mountain bike. My technical skills aren't that great yet and I'm slowly trying to build them up. Part of the process was to buy a new Giant 29er at the beginning of the year. I love this bike! My dad helped me get used the initial fear of not being able to move my feet (first experience with clipless pedals) and got me used to cycling on gravel, dirt and rocks. But, here's the catch. When I start going downhill, I get this irrational fear and start braking like crazy. This means that I actually go faster up a hill than down it. This of course is a source of great amusement to my friends and family and, in one instance, to some random people along the side of the road as well.

A few weeks ago, I steeled myself and tackled a challenging off-road route for the first time. What drama! Sand, rocks, trucks roaring past me! (This could be made into a new action movie :-) I was scared out of my mind in some places, but I completed the ride. I walked downhill once, but I felt such an immense sense of accomplishment afterwards. It was an amazing feeling and reminded me why I love cycling. The scenery is great and it's good exercise and it relaxes you (or rather you feel relaxed once you're safely back home). I did the same ride again this morning. The first part went faster than I was expecting and I think even the nearby cows were embarrased by the barrage of swear words trailing behind me. But, after the initial fright, the ride was great. I could have sworn the rocks were much bigger last time, but maybe that's a sign that I'm getting better. Or that fear is impairing my vision.

I'm looking forward to the day where I can zoom downhill confidently and not have other cyclists whoosh past me and then ask if I'm all right :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment