Saturday 16 April 2011

Third Thoughts

The first time I read a book by Terry Pratchett, I didn't even finish it. I didn't like it at all - the writing was confusing with no descriptions or stuff to fill in between all the dialogue. I couldn't get a handle on it. Then, since I hated quitting a book, I reread it slowly. Terry Pratchett challenges your imagination. You need to fill in the gaps yourself and can only do so when you imagine the situation completely. I haven't looked back since and have read every single of his Discworld novels and his other stories.

The witches in Discworld are in league of their own. Their powers do not lie in spells, potions or ancient rituals like the wizards, but rather in headology and an immense supply of self-confidence and obligation to what's right. If you haven't had the pleasure, I really recommend getting a hold of Witches Abroad or Lords and Ladies which are my favourite Discworld books featuring Granny Weatherwax and her unofficial coven.

We've all heard of second sight and having first thoughts. Witches take the more logical approach. First Sight is seeing what is really there (instead of what you think you should see). Second Thoughts are thinking about how you think about things. (Reading this last sentence again very carefully will help :-). Tiffany Aching, one of the more recent additions as a Discworld witch, sometimes even have third and fourth thoughts.

I love the whole idea behind First Sight and Second Thoughts. A lot of how what we say, how we react and what we do are based on society's norms and keeping the status quo. It's so easy just to follow the normal rules of behaviour than to actually analysing your own thoughts and actions and then deciding what you truly believe. I'm not saying societal norms are wrong - just that you should think about what you're thinking before you act. Is this really who you are? Or are you just trying to fit into the correct box or label?

Granny Weatherwax was once faced with a difficult choice. She was standing in a huge cavern filled with hundreds of identical reflections of herself. To live, she had to pick the correct one. Granny Weatherwax simply looked down at herself and said "This one." That's the kind of attitude I think we all should have :-)!

No comments:

Post a Comment