Wednesday 6 April 2011

Jam Bands

A jam band consists of women over 50 playing music on large pots after the completion of another successful round of making homemade fig, apricot or the various other types of jam. What? It's not? Well, that was my first thought when I heard the term. I wonder what their CD would be called? Sounds of the Fruity?

I came across jam bands while I was watching Matilda, the movie based on the book of the same name by Roald Dahl. There was one song in the film which really stuck with me and which was used in Ice Age as well. It's Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root. After some serious Wikipedia action, I realized that Rusted Root can be called a jam band because it almost sounds as if they just sit down and jam - no real planned melodies or songs. Alas, no actual fruit or preserves are involved which is probably good since sticky instruments are useless. Since then I've gotten hold of some of their albums and really love the music. It's down to earth rhythms and catchy percussion beats. Both The Glitch Mob and Rusted Root manage to create this intense mood and atmosphere, but with very different sounds. I definitely recommend checking out Rusted Root - great road trip music.

No fruits, vegetables or other possible jam ingredients were harmed during the making of this blog. Although, there has been a surge of public support for the release of Sounds of the Fruity :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment